Housing Disrepair

Many people living in rented accommodation are left in properties that are inadequate in terms of the state of repair. The Legislation in this kind of case was set out in s32 Housing Act 1961 and then re-enacted in the Housing Act of 1985 at s11.

S11 says that landlords are expected to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

(c)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

If you are living in a rented property that has need of repair, and if your landlord is refusing to act, our expert team may be able to assist you. We can act for you in a No Win No Fee claim to compel the landlord to carry out repairs and to pay you compensation.

Before proceeding with a Housing Disrepair claim you must have asked the landlord to do the repairs and give them a reasonable time to resolve the issue. But it is important to take advice as soon as possible, so that a solicitor can guide you through the correct course of action.

Initial consultations are free of charge, and after your consultation we will provide a written estimate to detail any legal fees that may have to be paid – either at the outset or in the future. Most often we are able to act in Housing Disrepair cases on a No Win No Fee basis, meaning that there are no legal costs to you as the Claimant.


To contact our Property team, please call 01744 742360, or click here to email >