So, you’re looking to develop a property in order to turn a nice profit or use for yourself? It can be a very thrilling process that results in turning an old and tired building into something brand new. But hold your horses… have you considered all of the legal frameworks that have to be met in order for your project to be listed on the market or even utilized for your own use?

Failure to meet all of the legal requirements involved could lead to your property lying dormant until you make all the necessary changes, costing you time and money! So, with this in mind, we thought we would open your eyes to some things you will need to think about when commencing your property development project.

Planning permission

Without planning permission, your project (literally!) won’t get off the ground. This is the single most important document that you’re going to need, as it provides a legal backing that your project can go ahead safely. Once you have your plans in mind, you may want to have them looked at by an expert architect or a structural engineer to make sure they are correct.

When they’ve been given the green light by the relevant parties, our experts can help you submit your planning permission to the LPA (Local Planning Authority) so it can be approved, and work can commence.

Building regulations

Not only will you need to make sure that your build secures planning permission, but it also needs to meet building regulations to make sure that it is safe and accessible. These requirements are needed by law, so if your building fails to meet them in any way, you will have to make amendments. You should be mindful of a number of factors when producing your development project, including health and safety aspects, to ensure the protection of those in and around the building at all times. You also need to consider access for disabled people and resource conversation amongst other areas.

Meeting building regulations not only puts you on the right side of the law but also gives you the confidence that your new building project is safe to operate in.


To protect you against anything that could go wrong during your build, you will need several types of insurance. As a property development company, you need to make sure that you’re given adequate security to go about your work in an effective way. For example, to cover any standard damages that may occur as part of the build, you will need liability insurance. Some insurance that you will need includes:

  • Public liability – If anyone has been injured or suffered damage as a result of the work performed.
  • Directors and officers liability – In case any claims are made against company directors and management directly e.g. how they set their employees out to work.
  • Employers liability – Protects against claims by employees that they’ve been injured whilst working for you.

There are many other kinds of insurance that you need to look out for to ensure that you’re covered throughout the whole process. If you would like help in making sure that you’ve met all of the above and more, get in touch with a top-class conveyancing lawyer in St Helens from St Helens Law and we will be sure to provide you with the assistance you need.

Contact our team today

The experts from St Helens Law are the people to turn to if you require any help during the process of developing a commercial property. We’re able to use our many years of industry knowledge and experience to put you in the best possible position at all times.

If you’d like to speak to a member of the team today, give us a call on 01744 742360 or drop us an email at and we will respond as soon as possible. You can also contact us via our online contact form, in which you can request a FREE 30 minute consultation with our experts.