Are you living in a rented property and have discovered an issue with your building? There’s no time to waste in this scenario as if this problem escalates you could be left with a danger to your safety! You should look to get in touch with your landlord straight away to reach a swift conclusion.

Most of the time, they will take the necessary steps to ensure your home is restored to its best condition as soon as possible, so you can continue to live in comfort and safety. However, at St Helens Law, we see the unfortunate case in which landlords fail to deal with the problem all too often. This delay or straight refusal to repair the damages can leave everyone in your household suffering for the long term.

If this is indeed the case, and you’ve given your landlord numerous chances to repair the fault but to no avail, you should look towards housing disrepair claims to receive the outcome you deserve. This can be done with the intention of having the problem finally fixed or earning the compensation that you are due as a result of their negligence.

It’s understandable to be a little overwhelmed at what the process of claiming for housing disrepair compensation may entail. So, let the experts at St Helens Law explain.

Notify your landlord of your intention to claim for housing disrepair

Before you finally decide enough is enough and you feel its time to claim, you should give your landlord one last chance to repair the damages. You can do this by letting them know you intend to claim against them.

Legally, you are required to notify them 21 days before starting your claim that you intend to do so. This could then go one of two ways – the landlord may be shocked into finally repairing the damages or they could see your threat as empty and continue to do nothing.

Regardless of which way this may go, you will be placed in a stronger position when it comes to further down the line!

If you feel like you deserve better from your landlord, then why should you sit around and wait? Now is the time to claim against them and potentially receive housing disrepair compensation in St Helens or elsewhere.

Lodge your claim for housing disrepair with the help of an expert

Once this 21 day period has expired, you can now begin your claim. By getting in touch with a specialist team of lawyers, such as St Helens Law, who are experts in dealing with housing disrepair in St Helens, we can help to ensure you receive the settlement you deserve. Offering sensible, professional advice, our team will assist you through each step of the housing disrepair claims process, giving you the best chance of a successful result. These include:

Letter of claim – you will be required to send your landlord official documentation of your claim, stating each of your property’s defects and proof of your attempts to have them repaired. You should also request that your landlord gives disclosure to any attempts they have made to repair the damages you have stated.

Wait for a response – once this letter has been sent, you should wait 20 working days for a response, giving your landlord a fair timeframe to reply. Their response should include the information needed to help with the claim, but if there is no response, legal proceedings can begin when the leaseholder has sufficient documentation.

Admission or denial – the landlord will usually admit or deny the claim for housing disrepair in their response. They could also accuse the tenant of giving them a lack of notice or making it difficult for them to make the repairs. Or, in favourable terms, it may also include a work schedule for planned repairs and an offer of compensation.

We can help!

If you feel like your house is in a state of disrepair and your landlord isn’t cooperating, then our housing solicitors in St Helens can help. We are on hand and ready to use our experience and knowledge in the field to get matters resolved quickly and efficiently.

We regularly speak with tenants who are enduring property defects that their landlord is not willing to fix, so if you feel like this applies to you, one of our experts will gladly talk you through the next steps.

We’re only a phone call away on 01744 742360, and a FREE 30 minute consultation can put us in the picture about your situation. You can also email us at or fill out our online form to request a conversation with our friendly team today.