Living in a rented property and discovered an issue with your building? Get in touch with your landlord straight away. Most of the time, they will take the necessary steps to ensure your home is restored to its best condition as soon as possible. However, in some unfortunate cases, landlords will fail to deal with the problem and leave you living in a property that could put your health at risk!

If this is the case, and you’ve given your landlord numerous chances to repair the fault but to no avail, you should look to lodge a claim against them, with the intention of having the problem finally fixed or earning the compensation you deserve.

If you are a little overwhelmed at what this process might entail, let the experts from St Helens Law explain.

Notify your landlord of your intention to claim

Before you finally decide enough is enough, you should give your landlord one last chance to repair the damages by letting them know you intend to claim against them.

Legally, you are required to notify them 21 days before starting your claim that you intend to do so. This could then go one of two ways – the landlord may be shocked into finally repairing the damages or they could see your threat as empty and continue to do nothing.

If you feel like you deserve better from your landlord regarding the disrepair of your property, now is the time to claim against them and potentially receive disrepair compensation in St Helens or elsewhere!

Lodge your claim with the help of an expert

Once this 21 day period has expired, you can now begin your claim. By getting in touch with lawyers, such as St Helens Law, who specialise in dealing with housing disrepair in St Helens, we can help to ensure you receive the end result you deserve. Offering  sensible, professional advice, we will assist you through each step of the claim, giving you the best chance of a successful result, these include:

Letter of claim – you will be required to send your landlord official documentation of your claim, stating each of your property’s defects and proof of your attempts to have them repaired. You should also request that your landlord gives disclosure to any attempts they have made to repair the damages you have stated.

Wait for a response – once this letter has been sent, you should wait 20 working days for a response, giving your landlord a fair timeframe to reply. Their response should include the information needed to help with the claim, but if there is no response, legal proceedings can begin when the leaseholder has sufficient documentation.

Admission or denial – the landlord will usually admit or deny the disrepair allegation in their response. They could also accuse the tenant of giving them a lack of notice or making it difficult for them to make the repairs. Or, in favourable terms, it may also include a work schedule for planned repairs and an offer of compensation.

We can help!

If you feel like your house is in a state of disrepair and your landlord isn’t cooperating, then our housing solicitors in St Helens can help. We are on hand and ready to use our experience and knowledge in the field to get matters resolved quickly and efficiently.

We regularly speak with tenants who are enduring property defects that their landlord is not willing to fix, so if you feel like this applies to you, one of our experts will gladly talk you through the next steps.

We’re only a phone call away on 01744 454433, and a FREE 30 minute consultation can put us in the picture about your situation. You can also email us at or fill out our online form to request a conversation with our friendly team today.